1. Walworth Society Monthly Meeting – Thursday 1st December 7pm. Thanks to everyone who came along to the 1st December meeting. Please find the meeting notes attached. Our first meeting of 2017 is on Thursday 5th January at 7pm at St Peter's Church Liverpool Grove.
2. Walworth Society Xmas Party - Friday 16th December 2016. 7.30pm til late!
Do come along to our first ever WS Xmas do. It will held be at the Huntsman & Hounds at 70 Elsted Street, SE17 1QG which re-opened this year. We have found a few bob behind the sofa so there will be some free mulled wine, fruit punch and mince pies until the meter runs out.
Do come along for what should be a great evening.
3. Xmas 2016 Lantern Parade - Friday 9th December 2016 (4pm)
Leaving InSpire, Liverpool Grove with lanterns - 4pm. Finishing at the Winter Wonderland event at The Giraffe House, Albany Road.
Do come along to watch or join in what is a fabulous event in the Walworth Christmas calendar.
1. Walworth Society Monthly Meeting – Thursday 3rd November 7pm. Please find below the notes from our meeting on 3rd November. Our next meeting is 7pm Thursday 1st December (St Peter's Church Liverpool Grove SE17).
Date for the diary Friday 16th December 7.30pm onwards. The Walworth Society's first ever Christmas event will be held at the Huntsman & Hounds PH, 70 Elsted St, East Walworth SE17 1QG. More details to follow!
2. Free Exhibition featuring the work of 15 artists at ASC Gallery 1st to 11th November - Acts of Searching Closely.
HOW DO YOU FILL A SPACE? HOW WILL WE REMEMBER NOW?
The Acts of Searching Closely exhibition is being held at the Artists Studio Company Gallery (Taplow House, Thurlow St) from 1-11 November 2016.
The exhibition features the work of 15 artists at ASC Gallery, where the space will function as a multidisciplinary ‘centre for research’. The contributions cover many different languages and approaches; installations, videos, workshops, drawings, audio works and performances.
ASC are very pleased to invite WS members to their private viewing on Tuesday 2nd November from 6pm.
For more info: www.actsofsearchingclosely.co.uk
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/169859053467121/
3. Animated History Tour of Southwark in the First World War - Friday 11th November (6.50pm).
John Whelan and People's Company would like to invite everyone to their FREE animated tour and performance piece on the 11th November to commemorate WW1 with the Tate Britain and Cuming collections bringing history and their archives to life. Please see the flyer below and if you would like any further info email whelanjohnwalworth@gmail. Meet outside Evans Cycles, 6 Tooley St SE1 2SY.
Tickets are going fast and are FREE from: bit.ly/2dYV3ar
4. Culture Mash. FREE Black History Month Event - Saturday 19th November 4pm to 7pm Pembroke House.
In partnership with Alvey and Bricklayers Arms TRAs and Pembroke House, Uncle Aug and John Whelan have organised the FREE Culture Mash event at Pembroke House (80 Tatum St SE17 1QR) on Saturday 19th November. Full details below.
5. Walworth Old and New Walk led by London Blue Badge Guide Isobel Durrant (Saturday 3rd December at 10.45am meeting outside Kennington Tube Station).
Info from Isobel: No need to book, just turn up and pay on the day, £10, £8 for over 65s and full-time students. The walk lasts around two hours and finishes at Pullens Yards. Full details below.
7. Southwark Council High Street Challenge - Final Walworth Society Heritage Walk: Old Kent Road and the Elephant & Castle.
Many thanks to everyone who came along to the final in our series of four animated heritage walks. The series has been an enormous success and big thanks to a large number of people and in particular John Whelan who organised and co-ordinated everything so well, Diana Cochrane for her amazing research and the People's Company and all the members who helped promote and support the events. Thanks also to Friends of Pasley Park, Carnaval Del Pueblo and other partners. Thanks to Southwark Council for supporting it all as part of he High Street Challenge series and in particular Liz Gardiner for all her help and advice. Some pics below from the last tour!
Henry V at the Thomas A Becket - just back from Agincourt and very pleased with the result.
Thomas Searle telling us about the White House on the Old Kent Road
Inside Driscoll House (Restup Hostel) New Kent Road (pic: Diana Cochrane)
Group Photo - Paragon Gardens New Kent Road (pic: Diana Cochrane)
FREE Animated History Tour - Saturday 29th October (10am to 12 noon).
The last in our series of four free history tours - part of Southwark Council's High Street Challenge - is a tour up the Old Kent Road to the Elephant & Castle taking in a total of 10 places of interest. The history is told through actors, monologues and a recreation of scenes from the past. Tickets are FREE and are available from Eventbrite at:
Details: Sat 29th October - Meet 10am at the Old Kent Road entrance to Burgess Park (across the road from the Thomas A Becket PH 320 Old Kent Rd, SE1 5UE).
The walk includes visits inside two listed buildings, The White House on the OKR and Driscoll House on the NKR and a chance to look at new green spaces at Grow Elephant and the new Elephant Park. The tour is part of Southwark Council’s High Street Challenge and will offer insights into the heritage, culture and diversity of the Old Kent Road, Bricklayers Arms, New Kent Road and the Elephant & Castle. For full details phone John Whelan on 07535-413884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org