1. Walworth Society Monthly Meeting – Thursday 3rd November 7pm. St Peter's Church, Liverpool Grove, SE17 2HH (entrance up main steps). The suggested agenda is:
1. Welcome, introductions & apologies.
2. Follow-up to WS meeting held on 6th October.
3. Improvements to East Street - Presentation by Cllr Rebecca Lury.
4. Presentation by Lendlease on the next stage of the development of Elephant Park (Plot MP3) - (also see item 7 for exhibition dates).
5. Proposed Parliamentary boundary changes - impact on the Walworth area.
6. High Street Challenge (Round 5) - Walworth Society Bid.
7. Walworth Society Heritage Tours - Review.
8. Royal Mail Sorting Office & W Rd Post Office - Update.
9. Walworth Neighbourhood Plan - Update.
10. Cleaner Greener Safer 17/18 submissions.
11. Update on other activities/projects/campaigns (inc Red Lion PH ACV application).
12. Any other issues people wish to raise.
Please do come along; everyone is very welcome.
2. Grow Elephant - Harvest Festival. Saturday 29th October 2pm onwards.
Grow Elephant (SE17 1SL (on the New Kent Road)) in conjunction with Crossway United Reform Church are holding a Harvest Festival this Saturday. Full details below:
3. Free Exhibition featuring the work of 15 artists at ASC Gallery 1st to 11th November - Acts of Searching Closely.
HOW DO YOU FILL A SPACE? HOW WILL WE REMEMBER NOW?
The Acts of Searching Closely exhibition is being held at the Artists Studio Company Gallery (Taplow House, Thurlow St) from 1-11 November 2016.
The exhibition features the work of 15 artists at ASC Gallery, where the space will function as a multidisciplinary ‘centre for research’. The contributions cover many different languages and approaches; installations, videos, workshops, drawings, audio works and performances.
ASC are very pleased to invite WS members to their private viewing on Tuesday 2nd November from 6pm.
For more info: www.actsofsearchingclosely.co.uk
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/169859053467121/
FREE Animated History Tour - Saturday 29th October (10am to 12 noon).
The last in our series of four free history tours - part of Southwark Council's High Street Challenge - is a tour up the Old Kent Road to the Elephant & Castle taking in a total of 10 places of interest. The history is told through actors, monologues and a recreation of scenes from the past. Tickets are FREE and are available from Eventbrite at:
Details: Sat 29th October - Meet 10am at the Old Kent Road entrance to Burgess Park (across the road from the Thomas A Becket PH 320 Old Kent Rd, SE1 5UE).
The walk includes visits inside two listed buildings, The White House on the OKR and Driscoll House on the NKR and a chance to look at new green spaces at Grow Elephant and the new Elephant Park. The tour is part of Southwark Council’s High Street Challenge and will offer insights into the heritage, culture and diversity of the Old Kent Road, Bricklayers Arms, New Kent Road and the Elephant & Castle. For full details phone John Whelan on 07535-413884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Walworth Society Monthly Meeting – Thursday 6th October 7pm. Please find below the notes from our meeting on 6th October. Our next meeting is 7pm Thursday 3rd November and features presentations on the improvements to East Street by East Walworth Councillor Rebecca Lury and Lendlease presenting on their early ideas for the next phase of their development (MP3) which will incorporate frontage along the New Kent Road.
2. MacMillan Tea/Coffee Morning: Saturday 1st October (11am to 2pm) Royal British Legion 34-40 Braganza Street SE17 3RJ. Everyone is invited to the MacMillan Tea Party at the RBL Braganza St for tea/coffee morning - everyone brings a cake and the cakes are sold with all the proceeds going to the Macmillan Nurses to fund their work. Free tea and coffee!
3. Carnaval del Pueblo - Latin American Spanish Language Classes.
A new venture from CdP offering Latin American Spanish Language classes. For details see flyer below:
4. Celebration of Black History Month - Free African Drumming & Dance Workshops.
This Saturday 1st October - 4pm to 6pm Pembroke House, 80 Tatum St SE17 1QR.
5. Southwark Better Streets - Ideas for Improving Your Street.
If you would like support and help in making improvements to the street you live on the Southwark Better Streets project could be of interest.
6. Berkeley Homes Redevelopment at Malt Street (off Old Kent Road) - Consultation Info.
A chance to see the latest proposals being put forward for Malt Street (a large site just east of Glengall Wharf Road/Glengall Wharf Garden). The exhibition offers an opportunity to give thoughts and feedback on the proposals.
2 Sessions. 1) Thursday 29 September 2pm to 8pm and 2) Saturday 1 October 9.30am to 12.30pm - Both events will be held at the Unwin and Friary Estate Tenants' and Residents' Hall, Frensham Street, Off Peckham Park Road SE15 6TH.
7. Borough, Bankside & Walworth Community Council Meeting - Weds 5th October 7pm.
Full details below:
8. What Walworth Wants.
Over the past year, WeMadeThat have been working on a project on behalf of Southwark Council and the GLA to identify possible improvements to East St and the market from the Walworth Road to the Old Kent Road (plus the link north to the Bricklayers Arms Roundabout). Cllr Rebecca Lury will present how some of these proposed changes maybe implemented at our Nov 3 meeting and the full document of the ideas that people had put forward can be seen at: