Lots of news and forthcoming events including our May WS meeting this Thursday where Delancey will come to talk about the plans for the Elephant & Castle.
Congratulations to the Elephant & Walworth Neighbourhood Forum for gaining a designation for a Walworth Neighbourhood Plan area (see 2 below).
1. Walworth Society Monthly Meeting – Thursday 2nd June 7pm. St Peter's Church, Liverpool Grove, SE17 2HH (entrance up main steps). The suggested agenda is:
1. Welcome, introductions & apologies.
2. Follow-up to WS meeting held on 12th May.
3. Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre Redevelopment. Presentation by Delancey on their latest plans (see 3 below).
4. Walworth Town Hall – Southwark Council Community Forum proposals.
5. Old Kent Road – Draft AAP & activities in the OKR area.
6. High Street Challenge – Update: John Whelan.
7. Walworth Neighbourhood Plan – Southwark Council consultation and decision on the area (see 2 below).
8. Summer 2016 activities in Walworth – update (see also Party in the Park (4 below)).
9. Update on other activities/projects/campaigns – Postal Service (Post Office, Sorting Office and now closed Post Boxes on W Rd!); Manor Place Terrace; Aylesbury Estate Redevelopment - Plot 18; Manor Place Depot redevelopment.
10. Any other issues people wish to raise.
Please do come along; everyone is very welcome.
2. Walworth Neighbourhood Plan. It appears that Southwark Council has now approved (subject to a call-in of the decision) the boundaries of a Walworth Neighbourhood Area following the application from the Elephant and Walworth Neighbourhood Forum (http://ewnf.herokuapp.com).
If you would like to see more details please see:
The boundary of the WNP area (in blue) can be seen at
and is shown below.
For more details/to receive regular info, email: email@example.com
3. Elephant & Castle. If you would like to see the latest plans that Delancey have produced for the redevelopment of the Shopping Centre and the wider Town Centre, they are available at:
with the consultation boards at:
4. Party in the Park (Faraday Gardens). This year’s Party in the Park is being held on Sat 11th June. A flyer for the event is below.
5. Carnaval del Pueblo.
Info below from CdP about this year's Plaza Latina Festival (Saturday, July 23 - Nursery Row Park, East Street) plus their fundraising as part of the Mayor of London Civic Crowdfunding Programme 2016.
For full details see: https://www.spacehive.com/saborcito
1. Walworth Society Monthly Meeting – Thursday 12th May 7pm.
Thanks to everyone who came along to our meeting on Thursday. Please find the notes below. Our June meeting will be held on Thursday 2nd June (7pm St Peter's Church, Liverpool Grove) and will feature a presentation by Kim Humphreys on behalf of Delancey based on their final consultation on the proposals for the development of a town centre at the Elephant & Castle.
2. Walworth Town Hall Meeting - Follow Up
Following the public meeting, the discussion at the April WS meeting and review by the WS committee, the response that the society has made to Southwark Council about the future of the Walworth Town Hall & Newington Library buildings and their redevelopment is attached below.
3. Ecuador Earthquake - Event at the Coronet.
Next Sunday 15th May there is an event (12 noon to 6pm) to raise funds to provide support to the victims of the recent earthquake in Ecuador. The poster for the event is below.
4. Nursery Row Park: Saturday June 4th. Dog Show and Farm in the Park
The animals from Surrey Docks Farm are coming back to Nursery Row Park along with a Dog Show with Olivier and with live music. The Friends of Nursery Row Park are really pleased to have been awarded funding by United St Saviour's Charity for the event. Poster below and details: http://www.nurseryrowpark.org.uk/event/dog-show-and-farm-in-the-park/
5. Benefit Event for Refugees on the evening of Friday May 27th from 8:00 to 10:30 pm at The Cinema Museum (2 Dugard Way, London SE11 4TH)
The event will be a collaboration between the Cinema Museum, the South London Jazz orchestra and a troupe of young actors from the Young Vic. The evening will hosted by comedian Sion James. There will be a bar and a raffle. All proceeds will be going to Doctors of the World to support refugees across Europe. Poster below and tickets can be purchased directly from http://www.wegottickets.com/event/352303
6. Carnaval del Pueblo: Mayor's Crowdfunding Programme
Carnaval del Pueblo is looking for support for its East Street – Saborcito Latino Forever Project which is aiming to create an open air, Latino themed year round legacy of authentic Latino music and dance in East Street. To get support from the Mayor of London CdP needs to show there is support for the project from local people so if you have a few moments they would love people to "Like" their idea at:
7. Berkeley Homes: Malt Street Regeneration (Old Kent Road).
If you would like to see more about the exhibition that Berkeley Homes held recently about their initial proposals for their site adjacent to the OKR they are on show at:
with the boards of the proposals themselves at:
8. Current Consultations. A number of consultations currently in progress:
a. Burgess Park West
b. Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park - Improvements
c. Elephant Park Exhibition. Dates and details below.
Please find the notes of our April 2016 meeting attached below. Please note that our May meeting will be held on the second Thursday of the month rather than our usual first Thursday (owing to the clash with Election Day). We will be meeting at St Peter's Church on Liverpool Grove at 7pm on Thursday 12th May.