- Walworth Society General Meeting – 7 pm Thursday 20th August.
- Virtually Walworth: Walworth Stories.
- The Beehive Public House – Carter St West Walworth.
- Walworth Healthy Streets – Next Phase.
- Animated History Tour Of The Elephant & Castle.
- Brandon Summer Programme For Children.
- Pembroke House Food Delivery Cyclists Needed
- Support Your Local Restaurant
1. Walworth Society General Meeting – 7 pm Thursday 20th August.
No meeting this Thursday, but the next Walworth Society general meeting is on Thursday 20th August, starting 7 pm. Minutes of the July general meeting here, agenda and other docs to follow. To join Zoom meeting clickhere: use link https://bit.ly/WS20thAug or go to Zoom and use Meeting ID: 874 8911 8219 Passcode: 161339.
2. Virtually Walworth: Walworth Stories
3. The Beehive Public House – Carter St West Walworth
Back in September 2015, Southwark Council accepted The Beehive PH as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) which gave it various protections to remain as a pub. This listing as an ACV lasts for 5 years which means that the ACV protection will soon end. We would like to renew the protection for the Beehive (it has not yet re-opened post lockdown) and to that end we need complete an ACV nomination form and we need two things from WS members.
- We need to know in what ways you believe The Beehive furthers “social wellbeing” for you. If you could write a few lines or a paragraph as to why The Beehive is important a) to you and your life and b) the life and wellbeing of our community that would be ideal.
- We need the names of 21 WS members who are on the Electoral Roll in Southwark who are prepared to be included in our application as supporters of this nomination. You will need to supply us with a) your full name, b) your full address (in Southwark) and c) confirmation that you are prepared for Southwark Council to search for your name on the electoral roll.
If you are able to support either 1 or 2 above then please email us at:
Thanks so much and we will let you know how things go!!
4. Walworth Healthy Streets – Next Phase.
The details of the changes to the original WHS scheme have now been published at:
Coupled with the measures already implemented, these complete the Walworth Healthy Streets programme across Walworth to the east and west of the W Rd with the exception of changes that are needed around Merrow St which will be addressed in a future Cabinet Member decision once local residents have been consulted with.
Please note that where camera enforcement is proposed ((1) Carter St and (2) Manor Place/Braganza St), licensed taxis will now be allowed to pass through (along with emergency vehicles, buses and cycles and refuse vehicles).
The two stages for approval are a) there is a week in which the decision may be called in by a Southwark Council scrutiny committee and b) it then passes through the statutory consultation process (another week – published in Southwark News). If these occur successfully these changes would then be implemented towards the end of August.
The most significant changes across SE17 are shown in the links below:
- Manor Place/Braganza St
- Kennington Park Road/Penton Place
- Amelia St and Iliffe St and Penton Place
- Larcom St
- John Ruskin St – School Street
- Braganza St (by Kennington Tube Station)
5. Animated History Tour Of The Elephant & Castle
A free virtually animated tour through the history of the Elephant & Castle, Thursday 20th Aug at 7pm. To join the tour go to Zoom and use meeting ID: 812 5797 7134, passcode: 216558
6. Brandon Summer Programme For Children.
Free Activities for Children on the Brandon: If you would like to attend these sessions please contact Ola Balogun on Mobile: 07448 782753 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Parents or suitable siblings must accompany children (especially under 8s).
7. Pembroke House Food Delivery Cyclists Needed
Pembroke House urgent call for volunteers: Pembroke House need to recruit more volunteer cyclists to deliver food packages to local people. For more details go to https://pembrokehouse.org.uk/.
8. Support Your Local Restaurant
Eat Out To Help Out at: Louie Louie; Amici Mediterranean Bar and Grill; La Barra; Latin groove kitchen; Café House; Sidecar Coffee Bar; Toulouse Lautrec; AR Sub; Mama Thai; Tasty Jerk; Pot & Rice; Bobo social; KOI Ramen Bar; Aroma de Café; The Tap In; Beza; Chatkhara; Old Red Lion, Oaka at the Manion House; EC cafes, E & C; Big Town Restaurants; Lenos y Carbon; Pizzeria Pappagone; Mikos Restaurant; La Bodeguita; TUPI: Shishlique; Heygate; The Elephant and Castle; Diogenes The Dog; The Prince of Wales; The Tommyfield; Papa Johns: Fourth Gardens African Restaurant; Firecracker; Hafiz Fried Chicken; Artemis Café; The Ship; Papa Johns; The Albert Arms.
Use the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme at a participating establishment:
- to get a 50% discount on food or non-alcoholic drinks to eat or drink in (up to a maximum of £10 discount per diner)
- every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday between 3 and 31 August
- as many times as you like!
More details click here.